Aerospace and Mechanical Engineering
Adjust Font Size: Normal Large X-Large

Applying for the AEM Undergraduate Program

Thank you for your interest in the Department of Aerospace Engineering and Mechanics undergraduate program. The AEM Department is part of the College of Science and Engineering (CSE). The University of Minnesota Office of Admissions handles admissions for freshmen, transfer, and International students. Freshmen students are admitted to CSE lower division, spending their first two years taking fundmental math and science courses. Lower division students can specify a major for course planning purposes, but do not officially become majors in the department until they apply for admission to upper division. Undergraduate transfer students are both internal and external to the University of Minnesota. These students transfer into the program as juniors or seniors. Transfer student applcations are also handled through the University Office of Admissions.

High School Students

High school students interested in Aerospace Engineering should apply for admission to the College of Science and Engineering. You will typically spend three semesters in lower division, before applying to the major.

Students in CSE Lower Division

To determine whether you have met the prerequisites for the BAEM degree, please consult the degree requirements and program prerequisite chains.

If you have met the lower division requirements, log in to the admission to the major database. Applicants will be notified of their admission decision via email within three weeks of the application deadline.

Transfer Students

For information about transferring into the BAEM undergraduate program from another school or college, please consult our transfer students guide. In addition, at the Future Transfer Student website you will be able to find guides to help you determine exactly how your completed coursework will work for your University of Minnesota degree, this includes liberal education and technical coursework.

International Students

International students must meet the same admissions requirements as citizens and permanent residents to the United States and have proof of English proficiency. More information can be found at the UMN International Admissions website.

Academic Advising


Lower division students are advised by CSE Academic Advising. The CSE advisors are well trained to help students decide their major and develop their course plan. During their first semester in the College of Science and Engineering (CSE), lower-division students are assigned a college academic adviser who will stay with them throughout their undergraduate career. The college advisor works with students in their intended major and is also familiar with other programs in the college.

Until students are formally admitted to upper division in their major, the college adviser is the primary academic advisor.

Students can find their assigned adviser’s name and contact information listed on MyU. Advising services are coordinated through CSE Academic Advising, 105 Lind Hall, 612-624-2890.

Upper-Division/Declared Major Advising

Upper division students in the AEM Department are advised by faculty advisers. The department recognizes the importance of faculty-student interaction, and the advising requirement helps to build a relationship at the program and professional levels. Students are required to meet with their faculty adviser at least once per semester before registering for classes. An advising hold is placed on each student’s record such that they are not able to register until they have met with their adviser.

The purpose of the advising meetings is multifold. Advisers help students understand tools to stay on track to graduate; they discuss potential technical electives, internships, or research opportunities like UROPs; they help with career planning including the possibility of graduate school or study abroad; they can tell you about scholarship opportunities and extracurricular opportunities (student organizations, for example). In addition, advisers can help students find resources on campus available to ensure success with academic and life balance issues. Furthermore, a letter of recommendation from a faculty member is often needed for scholarships, employment, or graduate school applications. Thus, it is imperative for students to meet with their faculty adviser to discuss academic interests and career opportunities.

University Admissions Resources

Last Modified: 2018-08-23 at 11:46:22 -- this is in International Standard Date and Time Notation