AEM Course Permission Numbers
AEM uses a Course Permission (magic) Numbers Online Request System
If you are unable to register for a course due to prerequisite requirements, full sections, etc., you may request a permission number. Our staff will manually check your records for information that might not be in the registration system (transfer classes, AP credit, equivalent courses). If a section is full and your schedule is such that you need to register for that section or the class is required for your degree, you may request a permission number and our staff will try to accommodate your request.
NOTE: If you have a Department Stamp or other hold (service indicator) on your records you need to get this removed by following the AEM advising process or talking to the appropriate office. Course Permission numbers are not how you get around holds on your records.
If you want to take a class that has "CSE student" as a prerequsite, we may let you into the course if there is phyiscally space in the room. This only applies to lower division courses AEM 2011, 2012, 2021, 3031, and 2301. Apply for a permission number following the steps below and you will be put on a list to get a permission number the week before classes start. At that time if there are still seats left in the classroom, you will be issued a permission number.
You will select the Not yet in College of Science and Engineering reason below.
Procedure to Request a Course Permission Number for an AEM course
- Login into http://www.aem.umn.edu/srs, this will require your X.500 University login authentication.
- Select the Request a Course Permission Number link from the middle left of the main SRS menu.
- Select the term the course is given in.
- We will only process requests for terms that have open registration.
- Once you select a term, please be patient as the list of offered courses is retrieved.
- Select the course and section you need a permission number for.
- Select the reason you need a permission number to assist our staff in approving your request. See the list of reasons for needing a Course Permission Number below.
- Click the submit button. (Note that this step takes a while to complete, so please be patient).
- You will receive an E-mail (to your central U. of Minnesota account) when a decision on your request has been made.
Reasons for needing a Course Permission Number
The U. of Minnesota Registration system enforces prerequisites for AEM courses. This is the most common reason for needing a permission number as the Registration system does not know about courses taken at another school, even if they show on your APAS Report.
The reason choices on the Request a Course Permission Number form are
- Took prerequisite(s) at another school -- these show on my APAS
- Select this choice if you have transfer credit that is already recorded on your APAS Report for the prequisite courses. Department staff will look at your report and process your request. You do not need to submit your APAS Report separately.
- Took prerequisite(s) at another school -- I will email a transcript
- Select this choice if you have transfer credit that is not yet on your APAS Report. In this case you must also email a copy of your transcript from the school to email@example.com that shows the prerequisite course(s). (You may also bring your transcript to 107 Akerman Hall.) Your request will not be processed until your transcript is received.
- Took alternative to prerequisite(s) (at U of Minnesota)
- Select this choice if you believe you have taken a course at the U. of Minnesota that fulfills the prerequisite(s). Department staff will check your transcript and process your request.
- I'm aleady enrolled in the course and want to change sections
- If you originally needed a permission number to enroll in a course, you will also need a number to change sections. Select this reason if this is the case.
- Class is full
- The enrollment limits in the Registration system are often smaller than the room capacity to let us know when the room size is being approached. Select this option if the section is listed as closed and we will check if there is still space available and process your request.
- Section is closed -- no open sections fit my schedule
- If there is still physically space in the classroom and your schedule is such that only this section will work for you, we will allow you into this section.
- Instructor/Department permission is required
- Select this option for the AEM independent study and other courses that require instructor permission to register. You will have to contact the instructor or the Department separately to obtain permission if you have not already.
- Not yet in Upper Division
- Select this option if you are not yet in upper division, but have already applied. You may be asked to supply additional information for us to process this request.
- Not yet in College of Science and Engineering
- Select this option if you are not yet in the College of Science and Engineering, but have already applied for a transfer. You may be asked to supply additional information for us to process this request.
- Other -- I will contact the Department staff separately
- Select this option if you have already discussed or will discuss your situation with the Department Staff and none of the options above apply.
How to Use a Permission Number When Registering
Instructions for using a permission number to register can be found at OneStop
Last Modified: 2017-11-17 at 11:32:30 -- this is in International Standard Date and Time Notation