Doctor of Philosophy Requirements
The Ph.D. program emphasizes coursework and research in engineering sciences that are basic to this field. Options include coursework and research in aerodynamics and aerospace systems, dynamical systems, material properties, and fluid and solid behavior.
The Ph.D. requires about two years of coursework, but the heart of the program is the student's thesis research. The first year of the Ph.D. program is similar to the master's program and most Ph.D. students receive the master's degree. The second year is devoted to more advanced courses and beginning research. Subsequent years include some coursework with increased focus on research.
It is expected that a student should complete the PhD degree in 4-5 years, and in no more than 6 years.
- 42 credits of coursework
- 24 thesis credits (AEM 8888)
- GPA of >3.0 for graduation
- Minimum of active/registered status for five semesters
- Four semesters of AEM Colloquium attendance
- Can include semesters used to fulfill Masters requirement
- Written Preliminary Exam
- Preliminary Oral Exam
- Final Oral Exam and Thesis
- Minimum 12 credits of AEM courses at the 5xxx or 8xxx level
- Minimum of 12 credits of non-AEM courses that pertain towards your degree
- NO MORE than 8 credits total at the 4xxx level
- NO MORE than 13 credits can be taken S/N
- Masters coursework is included in progress to PhD
- Excluding Plan A Thesis credits
- No more than 6 seminar credits may be used
- Seminar credits allowed in one credit modules only
- Each Seminar credit counted must be different for example: AEM 8000, AEM 8400, CE 8200, CSDY 8899.
- AEM 8000 can be used for credit only once.
- At least one sequence in fluids, solids or dynamics
- Basic Sequences
- AEM 8201, 8202: Fluid Mechanics I, II
- AEM 5401, 8411: Dynamics
- AEM 5501, 5503: Solid Mechanics
- Other sequences
- AEM 5321, 5451, 8421: Controls
- AEM 5253, 8253 Computational Fluid Mechanics
- Basic Sequences
Information found here.
Students are responsible for satisfying both the program and the Graduate School requirements for degree completion.
See also Graduate School Degree Completion Steps: Doctoral Degree Information.
Last Modified: 2016-07-18 at 10:36:52 -- this is in International Standard Date and Time Notation