Master of Science Requirements
The program emphasizes coursework in engineering sciences that are basic to this field: fluid mechanics, aerospace systems, and solid mechanics. Options include coursework in aerodynamics and aerospace systems, dynamical systems, material properties, and fluid and solid behavior. It is expected that a student should complete the M.S. degree in 2 years, and in no more than 3 years.
- 30 total credits
- GPA of >2.8 for graduation
- Two semesters of AEM Colloquium attendance
- You must attend two semesters worth of seminar, you do not necessarily need to enroll in the course both semesters
- Plan A which invovles independent research, completion of a
thesis and a final oral.
- AEM 8777 -- 10 thesis credits
- Plan B which invovles a completion of a project and a final
- AEM 8880 -- 3 credits Final Project
- Plan C which invovles coursework ONLY.
- There is no final exam
- Minimum 14 credits of AEM courses
- At least 12 of these credits must be at 5xxx or 8xxx level
- Minimum of 6 credits of non-AEM courses that pertain to your degree
- Plan A - 10 credits or Plan B - 3 credits
- NO MORE than 8 credits at the 4xxx level.
- NO MORE than 8 credits (6 for Plan A) can be taken S/N.
- No more than 4 seminar credits may be used.
- Seminar credits allowed in one credit modules only.
- Each Seminar credit counted must be different, for example: AEM 8000, AEM 8400, CE 8200.
- AEM 8000 can be used for credit only once.
- At least one sequence in fluids, solids or dynamics.
- AEM 8201, 8202: Fluid Mechanics I, II
- AEM 5401, 8411: Dynamics
- AEM 5501, 5503: Solid Mechanics
Additional Major Courses
- Take an additional 8 credits in AEM. The following sequences in controls or computational fluid mechanics may be used, or any other AEM courses chosen in consulation with adviser.
- AEM 5321, 5451, 8421: Controls
- AEM 5253, 8253 Computational Fluid Mechanics
- For all plans, take a minimum of 6 credits in a minor or in related fields outside of AEM.
Minor or Related Field
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I get a MS degree if I am a PhD
Yes. It is every student’s option to obtain a MS degree along the way. Simply file a degree program form for the MS degree as well as the PhD.
Do the courses that I take as an MSAEM student count
towards the 42 credits for a PhD?
All the credits for an MS may be counted toward the PhD course requirements except for AEM 8777. All credits are subject to approval on the Degree Program form.
How do I switch from the MSAEM to PhD?
Complete a change of status.
Graduate School Requirements
Students are responsible for satisfying both the program and the Graduate School requirements for degree completion. For more information, click here.
Last Modified: 2016-07-21 at 10:56:54 -- this is in International Standard Date and Time Notation