Admissions & Applications
Thank you for your interest in our graduate program. All application materials are submitted electronically through the ApplyYourself admissions system. Admission decisions are communicated to applicants using the system.
A decision for admission notice will be emailed to you once your application is carefully reviewed by the department's admission committee and your transcripts and any credentials (test reports, diploma copies, etc.) are authenticated by University officials.
- A four-year B.S. degree in engineering, science, or
mathematics is required with a grade point average of at least 3.2 on a 4.0
For students from discplines other than an engineering background, some remedial coursework may be needed. Please consult with the AEM Director of Graduate Studies for a review and assessment of your academic background and courswork needs
- Graduate Record Examination (GRE) scores are not required for admission, but if you have taken it we encourage you to list your scores on your application. Your scores will be taken into consideration, but will not be a primary factor when consider your possibility of admittance.
- Students whose native language is not English are required to submit scores from one of the following English proficiency examinations:
|TOEFL||550 Paper based, 79 Internet based|
Please note that in general we admit graduate students for FALL SEMESTER ONLY. Only under unusual circumstances will students be allowed to begin their studies at another time during the academic year.
For Fall the application deadline for applicants who wish to be considered for financial aid is December 15. Applications received by December 15 will be given priority consideration for admission and financial support. Applications received after December 15 will be considered on a space available basis. May 15th is the final application deadline, though we strongly urge applicants to submit their application well before this deadline.
All application materials are submitted directly to ApplyYourself. The application will not be available for review unless all required materials listed below are submitted successfully.
Submission of the following indicate a complete application file:
|Required Materials||Where to submit||How to submit|
|Application||Electronically via ApplyYourself||Required fields: Personal information, Application
Information, Educational Background, Test Information-Self Reported, Languages,
Awards & Activities, Employment/Residence Information, Financial Support,
Personal Statement, Recommendations, and Program Form. There are three
statements through AppyYourself, only Statement #1 (the statement of
purpose is required).
Click here to access the online application.
|Application fee||Electronically via ApplyYourself||http://www.grad.umn.edu/admissions/application_instructions/fee/index.html.|
|Unofficial Transcripts||Electronically via ApplyYourself||Unofficial transcripts or academic records should be
uploaded directly to the online application. Please do not
mail in paper copies of your transcripts; there is no need for official
transcripts or academic records for initial review.
If you are admitted, the University will then request official copies of this material.
Click here for more information about transcripts and credentials.
|Letters of Recommendation||Electronically via ApplyYourself||Letter should be requested from three persons familiar with your performance in an academic or non-acadamic (i.e. work) setting and who can comment on your potential for success in graduate school. Preference is for recommenders from academia. AEM does not have a specific form or format for letters of recommendation. All letters must be submitted via ApplyYourself.|
|Unofficial English Language test scores (TOEFL, IELTS, etc.)||Electronically via ApplyYourself||
Our department requires TOEFL scores for admission. Scores should be entered in the Test Information-Self-Reported field in ApplyYourself. The Score sheet should be uploaded directly to the online application along with your transcripts. Please do not mail in paper copies of your score sheet. ETS does not send copies of the scores to the Department.
|Unofficial GRE Scores||Electronically via ApplyYourself||Our department does not require GRE scores for admission,
but if submitted they will be taken into consideration. Scores should be
entered in the in the Test Information-Self-Reported field in ApplyYourself.
The score sheet should be uploaded directly to the online application along
with your transcripts. Please do not mail in paper copies of
your score sheet. Even if you had your scores sent, please also upload your
score sheet directly to the online application.
Click here for more information about GRE Scores.
- All materials transcripts, GRE and TOEFL scores must be uploaded directly to the online application. GRE and TOEFL scores should be self reported and score sheets uploaded along with your transcript. If the score sheet is not available you may upload a screen shot of your scores. You do not need to send scores to the department through ETS, but will need to supply the Graduate School with scores if admitted.
- Given all materials are submitted electronically, DO NOT mail materials to the department.
- You may upload your CV or resume. Please include any publications and awards on your CV, but Do Not upload any publications or awards.
- Additional writing samples are not required ONLY Statement #1, the Statement of Purpose is required.
- If you should to choose to upload additional documents, please be careful that these documents will be will only be beneficial to your applicaiton.
- Instructions on how to upload or add documents after you have submitted your online application, click here . However, we ask that you please contact the department before you attempt to upload post-submission materials.
Frequently Asked Questions on the application process, click here.
Last Modified: 2016-08-11 at 14:58:44 -- this is in International Standard Date and Time Notation