Admissions & Applications
Thank you for your interest in our graduate program. All application materials are submitted electronically through the the online application system. Admission decisions are communicated to applicants using the system.
A decision for admission notice will be emailed to you once your application is carefully reviewed by the department's admission committee and your transcripts and any credentials (test reports, diploma copies, etc.) are authenticated by University officials.
- A four-year B.S. degree in engineering, science, or
mathematics is required with a grade point average of at least 3.2 on a 4.0
For students from discplines other than an engineering background, some remedial coursework may be needed. Please consult with the AEM Director of Graduate Studies for a review and assessment of your academic background and courswork needs
- Graduate Record Examination (GRE) scores are not required for admission, but if you have taken it we encourage you to list your scores on your application. Your scores will be taken into consideration, but will not be a primary factor when consider your possibility of admittance.
- Students whose native language is not English are required to submit scores from one of the following English proficiency examinations:
|TOEFL||550 Paper based, 79 Internet based|
Please note that we admit graduate students for FALL SEMESTER ONLY. Only under unusual circumstances will students be allowed to begin their studies at another time during the academic year.
The Fall application deadline for applicants who wish to be considered for financial aid is December 15. Applications received by December 15 will be given priority consideration for admission and financial support. Applications received after December 15 will be considered on a space available basis. May 15th is the final application deadline, though we strongly urge applicants to submit their application well before this deadline.
All application materials are submitted directly to the online application. The application will not be available for review unless all required materials listed below are submitted successfully.
Submission of the following indicate a complete application file:
|Required Materials||Where to submit||How to submit|
|Application||Electronically via online application||Required fields: Personal information,
Application Information, Educational Background, Test Information-Self
Reported, Languages, Awards & Activities, Employment/Residence Information,
Financial Support, Personal Statement, Recommendations, and Program Form. There
are three statements through AppyYourself, only Statement #1 (the
statement of purpose is required).
Click here to access the online application.
|Application fee||Electronically via online application||http://www.grad.umn.edu/admissions/application_instructions/fee/index.html.|
|Unofficial Transcripts||Electronically via online application||Unofficial transcripts or academic records
should be uploaded directly to the online application. Please do
not mail in paper copies of your transcripts; there is no need for
official transcripts or academic records for initial review.
If you are admitted, the University will then request official copies of this material.
Click here for more information about transcripts and credentials.
|Letters of Recommendation||Electronically via online application||Letter should be requested from three persons familiar with your performance in an academic or non-acadamic (i.e. work) setting and who can comment on your potential for success in graduate school. Preference is for recommenders from academia. AEM does not have a specific form or format for letters of recommendation. All letters must be submitted via ApplyYourself.|
|Unofficial English Language test scores (TOEFL, IELTS, etc.)||Electronically via ETS report or online application||
Our department requires official scores for admission. Scores should be entered in the Test Information-Self-Reported field in ApplyYourself. Scores should be reported by ETS to the University of Minnesota institution code 6874. Please do not mail in paper copies of your score sheet.
|Unofficial GRE Scores||Electronically via online application||Our department does not require GRE scores
for admission, but if submitted they will be taken into consideration.
Scores should be entered in the in the Test Information-Self-Reported field in
ApplyYourself. Please do not mail in paper copies of your
Click here for more information about GRE Scores.
- All materials, transcripts, GRE and TOEFL scores are collected in the online application. GRE and TOEFL scores should be reported via ETS to school code 6874. You may upload a copy of your score sheet if your scores may be delayed past the deadline.
- Given all materials are submitted electronically, DO NOT mail materials to the department.
- You may upload your CV or resume. Please include any publications and awards on your CV, but do not upload any publications or awards.
- Additional writing samples are not required, only Statement #1, the Statement of Purpose is required.
- If you should to choose to upload additional documents, please be careful that these documents will be will only be beneficial to your applicaiton.
- Instructions on how to upload or add documents after you have submitted your online application, click here . However, you must contact the department before you attempt to upload post-submission materials.
Frequently Asked Questions on the application process, click here.
Last Modified: 2017-12-13 at 12:01:26 -- this is in International Standard Date and Time Notation