Mechanics of Materials Experiments
Professor T. W. Shield
Contact information is on my biography page.
Current Research Projects:
My research program focuses on a understanding the mechanics of a few types of novel material behaviors:
- Ferromagnetic Shape Memory
- Construction of a Magneto-Mechanical Testing Machine
- Investigation of FePd Ferromagnetic Shape Memory Behavior
- Single Crystal Crack-Tip
- Stationary Notch Tip Plastic Fields
- Growing Crack Tip Plastic Fields
- Structural Phase Transformations:
- Orientation Dependence of the Transformation Behavior of Cu-Al-Ni
- Thermal Effects in NiTi Wires
- Needles in CuAlNi
- Fracture of CuAlNi
The abstracts of my publications are in a Searchable Database. Send me an email if you would like a PDF version of any of my recent papers. Publications related to the topics above are listed below under each topic.
These are materials that are both magnetic and undergo a structural phase (shape-memory) transformation.
Construction is almost complete of a Magneto-Mechanical Testing Machine (MMTM) that will allow these materials to be studied in detail.
|Results of Magneto-Mechanical Testing on FePd coming soon!|
- Cui, J., Shield, T. W., and James, R. D., "Phase Transformation and Magnetic Anisotropy of an Iron-Palladium Ferromagnetic Shape Memory Alloy," accepted for publication in Acta Materialia, 2003.
- Shield, T. W., "A Magneto-Mechanical Testing Machine for Ferromagnetic Shape-Memory Alloys," Review of Scientific Instruments, 74(9), pp. 4077-4088, 2003. 31.
- Shield, T. W., and Cui, J., "Magneto-Mechanical Behavior of a Ferromagnetic Shape Memory Alloy: Fe3Pd," Proceedings of SPIE, 4699, March, 2002.
- Tickle, R., James, R. D., Shield, T. W., Wuttig, M., and Kokorin, V. V., "Ferromagnetic shape memory in the NiMnGa system," IEEE Trans. Magnetics, 35, pp. 4301-4310, 1999.
- Professor P. H. Leo, AEM Department
- Professor R. D. James, AEM Department
- Professor Manfred Wuttig, University of Maryland
- Dr. J. Cui, University of Maryland (Minnesota Ph. D., 2001)
|microscopic moire interferometry.|
Many different orientations of notches in single crystal have been studied
- Professor Walter Drugan, University of Wisconsin, Madison.
- Professor Wendy Crone, University of Wisconsin, Madison
Single Crystal Plasticity Publications
- Crone, W. C., Shield, T. W., Creuziger, A., and Henneman, H., "Orientation Dependence of the Plastic Slip near Notches in Ductile FCC Single Crystals," to appear in the Journal of the Mechanics and Physics of Solids, 2003.
- Crone, W. C., and Shield, T. W., "An Experimental Study of the Effect of Hardening on Plastic Deformation in Metallic Single Crystals," Journal of the Mechanics and Physics of Solids, 51(8), pp. 1623-1647, 2003..
- Crone, W. C., and Shield, T. W., "Experimental Study of the Deformation Near a Notch Tip in Copper and Copper-Beryllium Single Crystals," Journal of the Mechanics and Physics of Solids, 49, pp. 2819-2838, 2001.
- Shield, T. W., "An Experimental Study of the Plastic Strain Fields near a Crack Tip in a Copper Single Crystal During Loading," Acta Metallurgica, 44(4), 1996, pp. 1547-1561.
- Shield, T. W., and Kim, K.-S., "An Experimental Study of Plastic Deformation Fields near a Crack Tip in an Iron-Silicon Single Crystal," Journal of the Mechanics and Physics of Solids, 42(5), 1994, pp. 845-873.
|research by Kevin Hane on this topic.|
- Loughran (Vasko), G. M., Shield, T. W., and Leo, P. H., "Fracture of Shape Memory CuAlNi Single Crystals," International Journal of Solids and Structures, 40(2), pp. 271-294, 2003.
- Vasko, G. M., Leo, P. H., and Shield, T. W., "Prediction and Observation of Crack Tip Microstructure in Shape Memory CuAlNi Single Crystals," Journal of the Mechanics and Physics of Solids, 50, pp. 1843-1867, 2002.
- Hane, K. F., and Shield, T. W., "Microstructure in a Cubic to Orthorhombic Transition," J. Elasticity, 59, pp. 267-318, 2000.
- Hane, K. F., and Shield, T. W., AEM Report 1997-8. "Microstructure in the Cubic to Trigonal Transition," Materials Science And Engineering A, A291, pp. 147-159, 2000.
- Hane, K. F., and Shield, T. W., AEM Report 1997-7. "Microstructure in the Cubic to Monoclinic Transition in a Titanium-Nickel Shape Memory Alloy," Acta Meterialia, 47(9), pp. 2603-2617, 1999.
- Hane, K. F., and Shield, T. W., "Microstructure in a Copper-Aluminum-Nickel Shape Memory Alloy," Proc. R. Soc. Lond. A, 455, pp. 3901-3915, 1999.
- Hane, K. F., and Shield, T. W., AEM Report 1997-9. "Symmetry and Microstructure in Martensites," Phil Mag. A, 78 (6), 1998, pp. 1215-1252.
- Shield, T. W., Leo, P. H. and Grebner, W. C. C., "Quasi-Static Extension of Shape Memory Wires under Constant Load," Acta Metallurgica, 45 (1), 1997, pp. 67-74.
- Shield, T. W., "Orientation Dependence of the Pseudoelastic Behavior of Single Crystals of Cu-Al-Ni in Tension," Journal of the Mechanics and Physics of Solids, 43(6), 1995, pp. 869-895.
- Leo, P. H., Shield, T. W. and Bruno, O. P., "Transient Heat Transfer Effects on the Pseudoelastic Behavior of Shape-Memory Wires," Acta metallurgica, 41(8), 1993, pp. 2477-2485.
Shape-memory related links:
- The shape-memory transformation is a type of martensitic phase transformation. For more information on Martensites see What Are Martensites?, by Jim Sethna
- Here is a nice source of many SMA Links.
Current Graduate Students
- Yiming Wu, Ph.D., 2010
- Ganesh Borra, M.S., 2010
- John Messier, M.S.
- Bryan Henneman, M. S.
- Ryan Wold, M. S.
- Kevin Hane: ``Microstructures in Thermoelastic Martensites'', Ph. D. 1998
- Professor Wendy Crone: ``Experimental Investigation of the Deformation near a Notch Tip in Metallic Single Crystals," Ph.D. 1998
- Dr. Galyna Vasko, "Interaction of Phase Transformation and Fracture of a CuAlNi Single Crystal," co-advised with P. H. Leo, Ph. D. 2001
- My research is or has been supported by The National Science Foundation, The Office of Naval Research , The McKnight Foundation, National Institutes of Health, The University of Minnesota Graduate School and the AEM Department.
This material is based in part upon work supported by the National Science Foundation under Grant No. 9800245
Any opinions, findings, and conclusions or recommendations expressed in this material are those of the author(s) and do not necessarily reflect the views of the National Science Foundation
Software, Manuals, etc.
- Software I've written
- GFx Old X-Windows manual, but is still a good reference for GfQt
- PSALL Produces Postscript from Images with GF Plot overlays.
- Retex script to automatically reTeX and redisplay with Xdvi a file when it is modified
- Qt Based Programs
- Zip/Jazz Utiliies for Irix 5.3
- Lots of information on crystallography is available on the www.
- Current Earth Simulation a view from straight above here.
- Images of Comet P/S-L9 collision with Jupiter (local copy)
- How about an award winning photo of a frog that I took? It won best nature photo at The Croaker Festival held in Oriental, NC, in July 2003.
- Configuring Fedora Core 3--What I've learned
AUTHORT. W. Shield, firstname.lastname@example.org
Last Modified: 2016-12-05 at 10:06:44 -- this is in International Standard Date and Time Notation