- M.S., Appl. Math. Mech., Moscow University, 1979
- Ph.D., Mech. of Solids, Academy of Sci., Russia, 1984
- 1990 - Present: Associate Professor, Mechanics
- Aerospace Engineering and Mechanics, University of Minnesota
- 1989 - 1990: Research Associate
- Division of Applied Sciences, Harvard University
- 1984 - 1989: Staff Researcher
- Vernadsky Institute, Academy of Sciences, Moscow
- Visiting Professor
- Department of Structural Engineering, University of Ferrara, Italy, 1997;
- Department of Mechanical Engineering, University of Udine, Italy, 1995, 1997;
- Department of Applied Mechanics, Caltech, 1997;
- Department of Applied Mathematics, University of Padova, Italy, 1993, 1997;
- Department of Mathematics and Mechanics; University of Aix-Marseilles, France, 1990, 1997;
- LPMTM Institut Galilee, University Paris Nord, Paris, France, 1997, 2000;
- Department of Mathematics, Penn State University, 1997;
- Department of Mechanical Engineering, MIT, Cambridge, 1990.
- Five Recent Publications
- L. Truskinovsky, Transition to "detonation" in
dynamic phase changes, Arch. for Rational Mech. Anal. 125, pp.
- L. Truskinovsky, Fracture as a phase transformation, in:
Contemporary research in mechanics and mathematics of materials, Ericksen's
Symposium, ed. R. Batra and M. Beatty, CIMNE, Barselona, pp.322-332 (1996).
- L. Truskinovsky, G. Zanzotto, Ericksen's bar revisited: energy
wiggles, J. Mech. Phys. Solids, 44, pp. 1371-1408 (1996).
- R.C. Rogers, L. Truskinovsky, Discretization and hysteresis,
Physica B, 233, 370-375 (1997).
- L. Truskinovsky, Nucleation and growth in elasticity,
in: Dynamics of Crystal Surfaces and Interfaces, ed. P. Duxbury and T.
Pence, Plenum Press, New York, 185-197, (1997).
- J. Lowengrub, L. Truskinovsky, Quasi-incompressible Cahn-Hilliard fluids and topological transitions, Proc. Roy. Soc. London A, 454, 2617-2654 (1998).
- Scientific and Professional Societies
- Member, American Geophysical Union
- Member, Society for Natural Philosophy
- Member of the Editorial Board, International Society for the Interaction of Mechanics and Mathematics
- Honors and Awards
- Best paper award for young scientists, Academy of Sciences,USSR -- 1984, 1986
- Best paper travel award, US National Committee on Theoretical and Applied Mechanics -- 1992
- NSF grant: "Interfaces with structure: kinetics, nucleation, microstructures topological transitions", 1995-1997 (Div. of Applied Mathematics)
- NSF grant: "Mechanics of Systems with Bi-stable Elements". 1998-2000 (Div. of Applied Mathematics)
- NATO grant: "Multiplicity of Equilibria and Energy Landscapes for Smart Materials". 1996-1997
- 1999-, Editor, Continuum Mechanics and Thermodynamics, Springer
- Subjects and Courses Taught
- AEM 3031--Deformable Body Mechanics
- AEM 2012--Dynamics
- AEM 2011--Statics
- AEM 4581--Mechanics of Solids
- AEM 5503--Theory of Elasticity
- AEM 8500--Research Seminar in Mechanics of Materials
- AEM 8511--Advanced Topics in Continuum Mechanics/ Mechanics of Phase Transitions
- AEM 8521--Advanced Topics in Elasticity
- AEM 8523--Elastodynamics
- AEM 8531-- Fracture Mechanics
Last Modified: 2007-07-24 at 10:11:09 -- this is in International Standard Date and Time Notation