Office: Akerman Hall
E-mail: (at) umn.edu
UMN Experts Page
List of research topics
Current Research Projects
Professor Caverly will be joining the Department in 2018. His research explores the intersection of dynamics and control theory, with a focus on robust, optimal, and nonlinear control of aerospace and robotic systems.
- B.E., Honours Mechanical Engineering, McGill University, 2013
- M.S., Aerospace Engineering, University of Michigan, 2015
- Ph.D., Aerospace Engineering, University of Michigan, 2018
- 2014 - 2017: Graduate Student Research Assistant, University of Michigan
- 2012-2013: Teaching Assistant, McGill University
- 2011-2013: Research Assistant, McGill University
- 2010-2012: Robotics Instructor, Riverview Elementary School, QC, Canada
Five Recent Publications
- R. J. Caverly and J. R. Forbes “Dynamic Modeling, Trajectory Optimization, and Control of a Flexible Kiteplane,” IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology, accepted on August 15, 2016, TCST-2016-0265.
- R. J. Caverly and J. R. Forbes “Estimator Design for a Single Degree of Freedom Cable-Actuated
System,” Journal of the Franklin Institute, Vol. 353, No. 18, pp. 4845–4869, 2016.
- R. J. Caverly, C. Li, E. J. Chae, J. R. Forbes and Y. L. Young “Modeling and Control of Flow-Induced
Vibrations of a Flexible Hydrofoil in Viscous Flow,” Smart Materials and Structures, Vol. 25, No. 6,
- R. J. Caverly, D. E. Zlotnik and J. R. Forbes “Saturated Control of Flexible-Joint Manipulators Using
a Hammerstein Strictly Positive Real Compensator,” Robotica, Vol. 34, No. 6, pp. 1367–1382, 2016.
- R. J. Caverly, J. R. Forbes and D. Mohammadshahi “Dynamic Modeling and Passivity-Based Con-
trol of a Single Degree of Freedom Cable-Actuated System,” IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology, Vol. 23, No. 3, pp. 898–909, 2015.
Awards and Honors
- 2016 Best Presentation in session (out of 6 presentations) at 2016 American Control Conference
- 2016 American Control Conference Student Travel Award
- 2016 Rackham Conferencre Travel Award, University of Michigan
- 2015 Best Presentation in session (out of 6 presentations) at 2015 American Control Conference
- 2015 2nd place in graduate student poster competiton at ASNE Day 2015
- 2014 AIAA Best Paper from the 2013 Modeling and Simulation Technologies Conference
- 2007 Intel International Science and Engineering Fair (ISEF) Award
Scientific and Professional Societies
- American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics (AIAA) Student Member
Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) Student Member
Control Systems Society Member (IEEE)
Robotics and Automation Society Member (IEEE)
Subjects and Courses Taught
Last Modified: 2018-01-23 at 11:19:48 -- this is in International Standard Date and Time Notation