Short Publications - Forewords and Prefaces
1. Eulogium, Clifford Ambrose Truesdell III. J.
Elasticity, 55, 167 (1999).
2. Foreword, A Primer in Elasticity by Paolo Podio-Guidugli.
J. Elasticity, 58, No.1, vii (2000).
3. Editorial, Paolo Podio-Guidugli on the occasion of his 60th
birthday. J. Elasticity, 60, 81 (2000).
4. Foreword, Soft Tissue Mechanics ed. by S.C. Cowin &
J.D. Humphrey. J. Elasticity, 61, No.1-3, vii (2000).
5. Editorial, Piero Villaggio on the occasion of his 70th
birthday. J. Elasticity, 68, 1(2003).
6. In Recognition of the 70th Birthday of Piero Villaggio.
J. Elasticity, 68, 3-6(2003). With G. Royer.
7. Foreword, Essays and Papers Dedicated to the Memory of
Clifford Ambrose Truesdell III, ed. by Chi-Sing Man & Roger Fosdick. J.
Elasticity, 70, No.1-3, xi (2003).
8. Eulogium, Clifford Ambrose Truesdell III (b.February 18,
1919; d. January 14, 2000). J. Elasticity, 71, No.1-3, xi (2003).
9. Foreword, An Introduction to Differential Geometry with
Applications to Elasticity by Philippe G. Ciarlet. J. Elasticity,
78-79, vii (2005).
10. Preface, A Collection of Papers on Surface Phenomena.
J. Elasticity, 80, 1 (2005). With D. Steigmann.
11. Preface, On the Past and Future of Natural Philosophy by
Walter Noll. J. Elasticity, 84, 1 (2006).
12. Foreword, Stroh Formalism and Rayleigh Waves by Kazumi
Tanuma. J. Elasticity, 89, 1 (2007).
13. Preface to: The Area Rule for Simple Fluid Phase
Transitions by James Serrin. J. Elasticity, 90, 127 (2008).
14. Foreword, The Variational Approach to Fracture by B,
Bourdin, G. Francfort & J.-J. Marigo. J. Elasticity, 91, 1
15. Foreword, Memoriam to James K. Knowles (1931-2009). J.
16. Foreword, Statistical Mechanics, Molecular Modeling, and
the Notion of StressAn Invited Collection, Edited by Roger Fosdick &
Eliot Fried. J. Elasticity, 100, (2010).
17. Foreword, Papers Dedicated to the Memory of Donald E.
Carlson, Edited by Roger Fosdick, Eliot Fried & Daniel A. Tortorelli. J.
Elasticity, 105, (2011).
18. Foreword, A Variational Approach to Fracture and Other
Inelastic Phenomena by Gianpietro Del Piero. Published in J. Elasticity,
112, (2013). J. Elasticity, 113, (2013). Research
19. Extremum principles in the theory of small elastic
deformations superposed on large elastic deformations. In Progress in
Applied Mechanics, The Prager Anniversary Volume, MacMillan Co., 1963. With
20. Small bending of a circular bar superposed on finite
extension or compression. Arch. Ration. Mech. Anal., 12,
223248 (1963). With R.T. Shield.
21. On the vector potential and the representation of a
polyharmonic function in ndimensions. J. Math. Mech. 4,
22. Remarks on Compatibility. In Modern Developments in the
Mechanics of Continua,109127, Academic Press, 1966
23. Extremum principles in heat conduction for rigid heat
conductors. Acta Mechanica, 4, 241272(1967)
24. Visco-plastic flow of a thin circular plate. Proc.
Tenth Midwestern Mech. Conference, 1967. With E.J. Appleby, J.J. Carey
and P.G. Hodge, Jr.
25. On the displacement boundary-value problem of static
linear elasticity theory. ZAMP, 19, 219233 (1968)
26. A note on non-uniqueness in linear elasticity theory.
ZAMP, 19, 906912 (1968). With W.S. Edelstein.
27. Dynamically possible motions of incompressible, isotropic,
simple materials. Arch. Ration. Mech. Anal., 29, 272288
28. On general measures of deformation. Acta
Mechanica, 6, 275295 (1968). With A.S. Wineman.
29. A class of dynamically possible steady motions of
incompressible, isotropic simple materials. Int. J. Non-Linear Mech.,
4, 7973 (1969).
30. On Ericksens problem for plane deformations with
uniform transverse stretch. Int. J. Engrg. Sci., 7, 217233
(1969). With K.W. Schuler
31. On four rheological relations. Rheol. Acta,
4, 186193 (1970). With B. Bernstein.
32. Non uniqueness of second order fluids under steady radial
flow in annuli. Int. J. Engrg. Sci., 7, 555569(1969). With
33. On the complete representation of biharmonic functions.
SIAM J. Appl. Math , 19, 243250 (1970)
34. A note on the C-N inequality. ZAMP, 21,
35. Elastic stability and the zero moment condition. J.
Elasticity, 1, 1928 (1971)
36. Statically possible radially symmetric deformations in
isotropic, incompressible elastic solids. ZAMP, 22, 590607
37. Rectilinear steady flow of simple fluids. Proc. Roy.
Soc. London, A332, 311333(1973). With J. Serrin.
38. The free surface on a liquid between cylinders rotating at
different speeds, Part I. Arch. Ration. Mech. Anal., 49,
321380, (1973). With D.D. Joseph.
39. The free surface on a liquid between cylinders rotating at
different speeds, Part II. Arch. Ration. Mech. Anal., 49,
381401 (1973). With G.S. Beavers and D.D. Joseph.
40. Thermodynamics, stability and boundedness of fluids of
complexity 2 and fluids of second grade. Arch. Ration. Mech. Anal.,
56, 191252, (1974). With J. Dunn.
41. Global properties of continuum thermodynamic processes.
Arch. Ration. Mech. Anal., 59, 97109 (1975). With J.
42. Global properties of continuum thermodynamic processes.
Proc. 12th Annual Mtg. Soc. Engng. Sci., University of Texas at Austin,
43. Universal flows in the simplest theories of fluids.
Annali Della Schola Normale Superiore Di Pisa, IV 2, 323341
(1977). With C. Truesdell.
44. Transverse deformations associated with rectilinear shear
in elastic solids. J. Elasticity, 8, 117142 (1978). With B.
45. Uniqueness and drag for fluids of second grade in steady
motion. Int. J. Non-Linear Mech., 13, 131137 (1978). With
46. Lemmas in thermodynamic stability: A priori inequalities
and induced global bounds on thermodynamic states. Arch. Ration. Mech.
Anal., 67, 183224(1978). With J.E. Dunn.
47. On an inequality in thermodynamic stability. In
Contemporary Developments in Continuum Mechanics and Partial Differential
Equations, eds. G. De LaPenha and L. Medeiros, North-Holland Math. Studies
48. On the impossibility of linear Cauchy and Piola-Kirchoff
constitutive theories for stress in solids. J. Elasticity, 9,
8389 (1979). With J. Serrin.
49. Anomalous features in the model of second order
fluids. Arch. Ration. Mech. Anal., 70, 145152 (1979).
With K.R. Rajagopal.
50. The morphology and stability of material phases. Arch.
Ration. Mech. Anal., 74, 199 (1980). With J.E. Dunn.
51. Thermodynamics and stability of fluids of third grade.
Proc. Roy. Soc. London, A 339, 351377 (1980). With K.R.
52. Shearing motions and the formation of shocks in an elastic
circular tube. Quart. Appl. Math., 38, 191207 (1980). With
53. The elastica and the problem of pure bending for a
non-convex stored energy function. J. Elasticity, 11,
165186 (1981). With R.D. James.
54. Steady flow of a simple fluid around a rotating sphere.
Rheol. Acta., 19, 675697 (1980). With B.G. Kao. 55.
Catastrophic instabilities and
55. Catastrophic instabilities and related results in a fluid
of third grade. Int. J. Non- Linear Mech., 16, 191198
(1981). With B. Straughan.
56. On the existence of a manifold for temperature. Arch.
Ration. Mech. Anal., 81, 317332 (1983). With K.R. Rajagopal.
57. Helical shear of an elastic, circular tube with a
non-convex stored energy. Arch. Ration. Mech. Anal., 84,
3153 (1983). With G. MacSithigh. Reprinted in The Breadth and Depth of
Continuum Mechanics. Ed. by C.M. Dafermos, D.D. Joseph, and F.M. Leslie,
58. Structure and dynamical stability of Gibbsian states.
Lecture Notes in Mathematics Proceedings of the Laws and Structures of
Continuum Thermomechanics, Minneapolis, MN, June, 1983. New Perspectives
in Thermodynamics. Edited by J. Serrin, Springer- Verlag, 1985.
59. Elementary implications of viscometry on the free surface
profile for the problems of climbing and channel flow. J. Non-Newtonian
Fluid Mech., 15, 127144 (1984). With J. Castro.
60. In recognition of the sixtieth birthday of J.L. Ericksen.
J. Elasticity, 14, 338 (1984).
61. On the creeping motion of a simple fluid past a submerged
sphere. In print, Latin American J. Chem. Eng. Appl. Chem. With J.
Castro and C. Filipich.
62. Minimization in incompressible nonlinear elasticity
theory. J. Elasticity, 16, 267301 (1986). With G.
63. A plane non-linear shear for an elastic layer with a
non-convex stored energy function. Int. J. Solids Struct., 22, No.
10, 11291135 (1986). With K. Rajagopal and G. MacSithigh.
64. The influence of the bending stiffness in the motion of a
belt. J. Appl. Mech,53, 266270 (1986). With P. Villaggio.
65. On the Gibbsian thermostatics of mixtures. Arch. Ration.
Mech. Anal.,93, 203 221 (1986). Reprinted in Analysis and
Thermomechanics, ed. by B.D. Coleman, M. Feinberg, and J. Serrin,
Springer-Verlag, 1987. With J. Patino.
66. Steady, structured shock waves. Part 1: Thermoelastic
materials. Arch. Ration. Mech. Anal., 104, 295365 (1988).
With J.E. Dunn.
67. A dissipation principle and its consequences for
structures shock waves in thermoelastic materials. Shock Waves in Condensed
Matter, 1987, 215218, eds. S.C. Schmidt and N.C. Holmes,
Elsevier Science Publishers B.V., 1988. With J.E. Dunn.
68. A variational proof of the stress theorem of Cauchy.
Arch. Ration. Mech. Anal., 105, 95103 (1989). With E. G.
69. Steady, structured shock waves of arbitrary intensity in
thermoelastic materials. Elastic Wave Propagation, 1988,
133140, eds. M.F. McCarthy and M.A. Hayes. Elsevier Science
Publishers B.V., 1989. With J.E. Dunn.
70. The Maxwell relation and Eshelbys conservation law
for minimizers in elasticity theory. J. Elasticity, 22,
193200 (1989). With B. Hertog.
71. Material symmetry and crystals. Arch. Ration. Mech.
Anal., 110, 4372 (1990). With B. Hertog.
72. Minimization in nonlinear elasticity theory for bodies
reinforced with inextensible cords. J. Elasticity, 26, 239-289
(1991). With G. MacSithigh.
73. Steady, structured shock waves in a viscoelastic solid of
differential type. Int. J. Engrg. Sci., 28, 469483(1990).
With W.H. Warner and J.H. Yu.
74. Normality and convexity of the yield surface in nonlinear
plasticity. Quart. Appl. Math., 21, 117-127(1993). With E.
75. The torsion problem for a nonconvex stored energy
function. Arch. Rational Mech. Anal., 122, 291322 (1993).
With Y. Zhang.
76. The penalty method and the numerical solution of plane
problems in nonlinear elastostatics. MSI Report, September 1993. With A.
77. The Weierstrass condition for a special class of elastic
materials. J. Elasticity, 34, 167-184(1994). With J. E. Dunn.
78. Coexistent phase mixtures in the anti-plane shear of an
elastic tube. Zeit. Angew. Math. Phys., 45, 202-244 (1994). With
79. Stress and the moment-twist relation in the torsion of a
cylinder with a nonconvex stored energy function. Zeit. Angew. Math
Phys., 46, S146-171 (1995). With Y. Zhang.
80. A structured phase transition for the anti-plane shear of
an elastic circular tube. Quart. J. Mech. & Appl. Math., 48,
189-210(1995). With Y. Zhang.
81. Single phase energy minimizers for materials with nonlocal
spatial dependence. Quart. Appl. Math., 24, 161-195(1996). With
82. The static state of a two-phase solid mixture in a
stressed elastic bar. Int. J. Solids & Structures, 33,
2267-2281 (1996). With G. Royer.
83. Thermodynamics, stability and nonlinear oscillations of a
viscoelastic solid Part 1: Differential type solids of second grade. Int. J.
Nonlinear Mech., 31, 495-516 (1996). With J.-H. Yu.
84. A note on the optimal state of a binary solid mixture in a
stressed elastic bar. Meccanica, 31, 519-525(1996). With G.
Royer and H. Weinberger.
85. Numerical solution of singular problems in nonlinear
elastostatics. Research Report (1995). With A. Aguiar.
86. Alloy separation of a binary mixture in a stressed elastic
sphere. J. Elasticity, 42, 49-77 (1996). With G. Royer.
87. Thermodynamics, stability and nonlinear oscillations of a
viscoelastic solid, Part II: History type solids. Int. J. Nonlinear
Mech., 33, 165-188(1997). With J.-H. Yu.
88. Vibration damping through the use of materials with
memory. Int. J. Solids & Structures, 35, 403-420(1998). With
Y. Ketema and J.-H. Yu.
89. A nonlinear oscillator with history dependent force.
Int. J. Nonlinear Mech., 33, 447-459 (1998). With Y. Ketema and
90. On a model of nonlocal continuum mechanics, Part I:
Existence and Regularity. SIAM J. Appl. Math., 58, 1278-1306
(1998). With D. Mason.
91. On a model of nonlocal continuum mechanics, Part II:
Structure, Asymptotics and Computations. J. Elasticity, 48,
51-100 (1997). With D. Mason.
92. Dynamics of a viscoelastic spherical shell with a
nonconvex strain energy function. Quart. Appl. Math., 26, 221-244
(1998). With Y. Ketema and J. -H. Yu.
93. The state of pure shear. J. Elasticity, 52,
91-98 (1998). With P. Belik.
94. A thermoviscoelastic dynamic vibration absorber. J.
Applied Mechanics, 65 (1998). With Y. Ketema.
95. A singular problem in incompressible nonlinear
elastostatics. Math. Models and Methods in Appl. Sciences, 10,
1181-1207 (2000). With A. Aguiar.
96. A rheological model for materials which support coexistent
shear rates. Int. J. Nonlinear Mech., 35, 1023-1043(2000). With
97. Shape memory alloys for passive vibration damping. J.
Intelligent Material Systems and Structures, 9, 854-870(1998). With
98. Self-intersection in elasticity. Int. J. Solids &
Structures, 38, 4797-4823 (2001). With A. Aguiar.
99. The Lagrange multiplier in incompressible elasticity
theory. J. Elasticity, 55, 193-200(1999). With G. Royer.
100. On the rigid motion of a body. Draft available
(1999). With J.E. Dunn.
101. The constraint of local injectivity in linear elasticity
theory. Proc. Roy. Soc., 457, 2167-2187 (2001). With G. Royer.
102. Multiple natural states for an elastic isotropic material
with polyconvex stored energy. J. Elasticity, 60, 223-231 (2000).
With G. Royer.
103. Numerical analysis of elastic problems with injectivity
constraints. ECCM-2001, European Conference on Computational Mechanics,
June 26-29, 2001, Cracow, Poland. With K. Obeidat, H. Stolarski & G. Royer.
104. The Lagrange multipliers and hyperstress constraint
reactions in incompressible multipolar elasticity theory. J. Mech. &
Phys. Solids, 50, 1627-1647(2002). With G. Royer.
105. Response to: Discussion on A. Aguiar and R.
Fosdick, Self-intersection in elasticity [International Journal of
Solids and Structures 38 (28) 4797-4825]. Int. J. Solids
& Structures, 39, 1729 (2002).
106. Rank 1 convexity for a class of incompressible elastic
materials. Rational Continua Classical and New, ed. P. Podio-Guidugli
& M Brocato, Springer-Verlag Italia, Milano, 2003. With J.E. Dunn & Y.
107. Generalized Airy stress functions. Meccanica,
38, 571-578 (2003). With K. Schuler.
108. About Clapeyrons theorem in linear elasticity.
J. Elasticity, 72, 145-172 (2003). With L. Truskinovsky.
109. Stress as a constraint reaction in rigid bodies. J.
Elasticity, 74, 265-276 (2004). With G. Royer.
110. A Stokes theorem for second order tensor fields and its
implications in continuum mechanics. Int. J. Nonlinear Mech., 40,
381-386 (2005). With G. Royer.
111. A penalty interpretation for the Lagrange multiplier
fields in incompressible multipolar elasticity theory. Mathematics and
Mechanics of Solids, 10, 389-413 (2005). With G. Royer.
112. Generalized Baker-Ericksen inequalities. J.
Elasticity, 85, 39-44 (2006). With M. Silhavy.
113. Chemomechanical equilibrium of bars. J.
Elasticity, 84, 167-188 (2006). With G. Royer.
114. Variational characterization of a quasi-rigid body. J.
Elasticity, 87, 211-238(2007). With G. Royer.
115. A note on uniqueness in linear elastostatics. J.
Elasticity, 88, 79-86 (2007). With M. Piccioni and G. Puglisi.
116. Electrodynamics and thermomechanics of material bodies.
J. Elasticity, 88, 255-297 (2007). With H. Tang.
117. Bifurcation instability in linear elasticity with the
constraint of local injectivity. J. Elasticity, 90, 99-126
(2007). With Francesco Freddi & G. Royer.
118. A study of penalty formulations used in the numerical
approximation of a radially symmetric elasticity problem. J. Mech. Materials
and Structures, 3, 1403-1427 (2008). With A. Aguiar and J. Sanchez.
119. Thermal effects on the vibration damping properties of
shape memory alloys. Journal of Intelligent Material Systems and
Structures, 20, 1587-1601 (2009). With Y. Ketema.
120. Surface transport in continuum mechanics. Mathematics
and Mechanics of Solids, 14, 587-598 (2009). With H. Tang.
121. Shear driven planar Couette and Taylor-like instabilities
for a class of compressible isotropic elastic solids. Z. Angew. Math. Phys.
ZAMP, 61, 537-554 (2010). DOI 10.1007/s00033-009-0020-4. With P.
Foti, A. Fraddosio, S. Marzano.
122. Energy minimization for an elastic fluid. J.
Elasticity, 98, 189-203 (2010). With J. Sivaloganathan.
123. A lower bound estimate of the critical load for
compressible elastic solids. Continuum Mech. Thermodyn., 22,
77-97 (2010). With P. Foti, A. Fraddosio, M. Piccioni.
124. On the motive power of chemical transformations in open
systems. J. Elasticity, 104, 229-248 (2011). With G. Royer.
125. Observations concerning virtual power. Mathematics and
Mechanics of Solids, 16, 573-585 (2011).
126. On the principle of virtual power for arbitrary parts of
a body. Continuum Mech. Thermodyn., 23, 483-489 (2011); (DOI)
127. Reformation instability in elastic solids. J.
Elasticity, 107, 131-150 (2012);
http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s10659-011-9348-z. With Luca Granieri & Francesco
128. On a Contribution of James Serrin: Thermodynamic Theory.
Accepted for publication. Birkhauser Verlag, 2012.
129. On a Contribution of James Serrin: Thermomechanics and
Invariance. Accepted for publication. Birkhauser Verlag, 2012.
130. A causality approach to particle dynamics for systems.
Arch. Rational Mech. Anal., 207, 247-302 (2013). (DOI)
131. A constitutive model for a linearly elastic peridynamic
body. Mathematics and Mechanics of Solids, 19, 502-523(2014).
DOI: 10.1177/1081286512472092. With Adair Aguiar.
132. The splitting of intrinsic energy and the origin of mass
density in continuum mechanics. Continuum Mech. Thermodyn., 26,
287-302 (2014); http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s00161- 013-0301-1. DOI
10.1007/s00161-013-0301-1. With James Serrin.
133. Taylor-like bifurcations for a compressible isotropic
elastic tube. Mathematics and Mechanics of Solids. Accepted for
publication, June, 2013. With P. Foti, A. Fraddosio, S Marzano and M. Piccioni.
134. A lower bound estimate of the critical load in
bifurcation analysis for incompressible elastic solids. Mathematics and
Mechanics of Solids. Accepted for publication, February, 2014. With P.
Foti, A. Fraddosio, S Marzano and M. Piccioni.
135. On the corner behavior of a nonlinear elastic wedge under
mixed boundary conditions. Int. J. Nonlinear Mech. Accepted for
publication. May, 2014. With Adair Aguiar.
136. Singular shear-force states in elementary plate theory.
J. Elasticity. Accepted for publication. April, 2014. With Gianni
137. Piero Villaggio: representative of the Italian tradition
of honored elasticians. J. Elasticity. Accepted for publication. May,
2014. With Gianni Royer-Carfagni.
Submitted or Drafts Available
138. A causality setting for elasticity theory. Draft
Work In Progress
139. A generalized continuum with internal corner and surface
140. Coexistent phases and critical point behavior in
141. Invariant Structure in Continuum Thermomechanics. A Book
in progress. With D. Mason. 14
142. On the stability of Oldroyd upper and lower convected
models of viscoelastic behavior. 143. On energy in the Saint-Venant flexure of
a cylinder. With Giuseppe Ruta. 15
Subjects and Courses Taught
2011 -- Statics
3031 -- Deformable Body Mechanics
4581 -- Mechanics of Solids
5501 -- Continuum Mechanics
5503 -- Theory of Elasticity
8511 -- Advanced Topics in Continuum Mechanics
Last Modified: 2014-06-11 at 12:51:46
-- this is in
International Standard Date and Time Notation