2014-2015 Space Grant Midwest High-Power Rocketry
The Minnesota Space Grant
Consortium (MnSGC) announces its intention to run a Space Grant
Midwest High-Power Rocket Competition (formerly
called the Space Grant Great Midwest Regional Rocket
Competition and previously run by the Wisconsin Space
Grant Consortium) during the 2014-2015 academic year.
This competition is an opportunity for teams of
college students to design and construct high-power
rockets to be launched in May of 2015 from a Tripoli
MN launch site near Minneapolis, MN.
Competition goals: In this competition student teams will design and construct a high-power “boosted dart” (essentially a 2-stage rocket with no motor in the upper stage which drag-separate after motor burn-out) that will be recovered safely and in flyable condition, predict its flight performance, collect down-looking on-board video from the dart (during the ascent) and construct a non-commercial on-board data collection package to characterize dart rotation in the X, Y, and Z axes over time, to compare with the video record.
INDUSTRY SPONSORS -- THANKS!
1. September 23, 2014, 7 to 8 p.m. CST (repeated January 22, 2015, 7 to 8 p.m. CST): Informational telecon -- contact James Flaten for call-in information
2. October 1, 2014: Obtain own state's Space Grant "sponsorship" and submit "Notice of Intent to Compete" letter
3. January 30, 2015: $400 Registration Fee due (LINK IS https://secure.spacegrant.org/payments/. INSTRUCTIONS IN Q AND A POSTED JAN. 22, 2015.)
4. May 19-20, 2015 (Tuesday/Wednesday): (Afternoon/evening) oral presentations and safety checks then (all-day) launch competition then evening event
5. May 21, 2015 (Thursday): Alternate (rain) launch date
Document archive for 2014-2015 "Boosted Dart" competition
Announcement of Competition (last updated Aug. 28,
Handbook for Competition (last updated March 25, 2015):
Slides for Informational Telecon (posted Sept. 23, 2014):
"Notice of Intent to Compete" Template (posted Sept. 24, 2014; due Oct. 1, 2014, mail form to James Flaten at email@example.com):
"Frequently Asked Questions #1" (rules clarifications and instructions about paying $400 registration fee - due Jan. 30, 2015) (posted Jan. 22, 2015):
"Frequently Asked Questions #2" (questions from second informational telecon, new flight scoring formula, and more) (posted Feb. 5, 2015):
"Notice of Competition Attendance" Template (due Feb. 13, 2015, mail form to James Flaten at firstname.lastname@example.org):
Last Modified: 2015-05-02 at 07:40:24 -- this is in International Standard Date and Time Notation