University of Minnesota
Aerospace Engineering and Mechanics
Fall 2002 Seminar Series
Doing Aerospace Engineering Research In The New Online Environment
- Location of Walter Library url is
- Science & Engineering Library Web page: http://sciweb.lib.umn.edu. Provide an
overview and talk about the various sections of Sciweb going through each
section a little bit at a time.
- Highlight library hours and storage form requests in upper left Most of
what youll need to know about the library can be found on Sciweb.
- Highlight the quick links especially for compendex, current contents, and
science citation index.
- Discuss sections of Sciweb for library catalogs, indexes and databases,
electronic journals, and resources by subjects. Highlight MnCat and then
briefly discuss WorldCat. Mention the fact that MNCAT is how they will find
what journals and other resources we have in the library after they do their
searches in the databases. Go to our indexes and database section and highlight
some databases they might use. Particularly highlight the ones mentioned above
but also mention the AIAA Papers and IEEE Full-Text Services. Touch on the
electronic journals which have an organization by subject and then an
organization by large publishers. Discuss what is missed if just electronic
journals are used.
- Touch on library services. Briefly go through the types of services we
offer. Then go to the ask a librarian link and then about the library link.
- Mention setting up a web page specifically for Aerospace Graduate students.
Its called a CourseLib Page. Ive made one for the mechanical
engineering new graduate students its at:
The one I would do for this group would be would be similar to that.
- Do a brief demonstration. The topic I have a search set up for is related
to spray nozzles. I usually show a search in a couple of databases like Applied
Science & Technology Abstracts and then in Compendex to show the vast
difference in amount of coverage. Then I show how to find a couple types of
sources in MNCAT Ill tend to use the simple search and point out the
options of going into the full MNCAT, the journal section, or the conference
section of it.
- Go over our science & engineering library handout. Most of what has
been covered in the lecture is also covered in this brief handout. Touch on
some of the major sections.
- At the end mention the main university library home page. www.lib.umn.edu
Some of its longer list of subject indexes may be useful to them. An example
might be the ABI/INFORM database which covers business, manage, and economics
topics. Also covers quite a bit of operations research.
Friday, November 22, 2002
Refreshments served after the seminar in
227 Akerman Hall.
Disability accomodations provided upon request.
Contact Kristal Belisle, Senior